Sunday, April 8, 2012

New Beginnings


Well everyone, it's been quite a while since I've blogged. For a few months, I had no motivation to blog because I didn't get to see Tom very often. But since he moved out here to good ole F. E. Warren it seems we've just been too busy to blog!

I will try to give a brief synopsis of how the Whitney's are doing so bare with me because I'm sure the brief synopsis will turn into a monologue of my inner thoughts as it always does. Anyway, here we go!

Tom finally moved into our home in Colorado November of last year! Thankfully he somehow managed to unpack our full-bedroom set, California king bed, sectional couch, as well as all of his boxes before I even got home from work. I only had to help him with the mattress and trophy case!

Thanksgiving was a blast, spending time with my lovely in-laws, J and Mike! We toured the Budweiser brewery for the first time, fell in love with a dark lager called Amberbock (which Tom now calls the gateway beer to dark beers), and showed Mom and Dad Whitney around our lovely Fort Collins! We cooked our first turkey together and took some funny pictures with our hands-up the turkey butt (classic!). The stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey, gravy, and deviled eggs were all so scrumptious, I'm surprised we didn't all gain 10 pounds! (Well, we might have gained 10 pounds but who likes to weigh themselves during Thanksgiving). I had so much fun spending time with Tom's parents and getting to know them better. We can't wait for the next time that we can host them at our house!

For the Christmas time-frame my family visited for a little over a week. We did a couple of puzzles, baked sugar cookies from scratch (and decorated them of course), cooked a turkey and ham, went to the Budweiser brewery tour (again), explored Fort Collins (a little bit), and went skiing for Tom and I's first trip of the season and also our first trip to Wyoming mountains. The short runs and short ski lifts at Snowy Range combined with minimum people on the slopes led to a good 15-20 runs on the Monday following Christmas. Overall I love spending time with my family and building those memories. It's so much fun cooking with them and just hanging out! Even though they did, in classic Laco fashion, set-up a "Computer Cafe" on my kitchen table and blew the fuse a few times, I still love having them over! I will say that I am looking forward to Christmas away from my house next year though because I've never had to cook so much food before in my life! It's definitely different cooking for 6 rather than just 2 :) Foreshadowing?

New Years Eve celebrations were hosted at our house for 2012. We mostly served hors d'oeuvres (sp?) like this awesome jalapeno dip that we get from this little ranch in Texas called Blanco Valley Farms. They also have a great habanero dip that we love dipping fresh, french bread in. Josh and Naomi brought over delicious meatballs, which I learned are made with grape jelly. Who would have known? We played beer pong, music, and drank lots of champagne. Some would say maybe too much champagne. Lesson learned from that night? Don't serve red champagne for New Years eve!

Since January 1st, I cannot believe how fast time has flown by. I mean, really? Today is already 8 April? We've worked a lot, played intramural bowling with my squadron, enjoyed gorgeous out-of-season 70 degree Colorado weather in February. We've taken Roxy to the dog park where she learned how to swim. I've started training for the AF marathon which is in September at Wright Patterson. Tom has started looking around for a good golf course to get plugged into (if anyone knows anyone who might have a connection at Ptarmigan, Fort Collins CC, or Harmony that'd be great for him!) We've met lots of new people both at work and around town.

In March we tried out a new diet based on the food of the Paleolithic Era. Celina and Pat inspired us to do the Whole 30 Challenge, which was definitely a challenge! We could only eat meat, fruits and veggies. No dairy, bread, pasta, grains, or anything with added sugar. Oh and did I mention no potatoes, beans, or alcohol either?! Despite the challenges of working in an office where everyone brings in yummy homemade deserts or queso, this Challenge was great for Tom and I. I lost 8 lbs and Tom lost almost 15 in just 4 weeks! Not only that, but we felt healthier, our work outs were easier, and we had way more energy. If you are looking for a new perspective on food, I definitely suggest trying out the Whole 30 Challenge.

The biggest and might I dare say best part of 2012 so far is that we've gotten plugged in with Pastor Aaron Stern's new church in Fort Collins called Mill City Church. Joining the Lift Team or church staff as called at most churches, has been one of the best decisions we've made to date. We are plugged into the church and that church is making a difference in Fort Collins. The church has only had services for about 2 months now but the people we have met and the things we have done with them have made our lives here in Fort Collins exponentially better. I leave Church filling a renewed vigor to improve my walk with Christ and to share his love with others. Also, there is nothing better in the world than having friends around you whom you can immediately call family because of your shared relationship with Christ.

Of course, I'm mostly talking about how the church has effected the Whitney's lives, but if I could describe all of the lives this church has already touched my blog would go on for pages and pages! Mill City Church is truly doing amazing things in Fort Collins. It's providing a place for people to belong. It's spreading the Word of Jesus Christ. And it's worshiping and glorifying the name of Our Lord alongside the global Christian church.

Anyway, I guess that is enough rambling for now. I forgot to mention earlier that I've started my MBA through Oklahoma State University (yay cowboys... haha) so I should probably go do some homework. Tom and I are excited for our new beginnings here in Fort Collins and to actually have our "honeymoon" time of living together.

Hope everyone is doing well! Much love from the Whitneys <3

Jess and Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!